Bargains from Thailand

5 March 2011


Saladan is about an half hour walk, or 5 minutes ride in a tok tok, from Kaw Lanta Beach Resort. We went there often to shop and eat. Shopping in Saladan was great fun, especially finding amazing bargains and trying out our haggling skills. I love the colour orange and found these three beautiful sarongs for £3-£3.60each.
My first attempt at haggling went like this...  "How much?" I ask, pointing to the orange sarong. "250 (baht)" says the girl. "200?" I offer, trying out my luck. "180?" Replies the girl. "Er, okay!" I say, slightly confused.com.
I bought the other two for 150 bahts each from a different shop and paid around 200 bahts for this gorgeous enbroidered bag.
I love joss sticks and couldn't resist buying a few packets. I paid about £6 for all of these. The ones in the big tub (possibly around 300 sticks) is my current favourite. It smells like hot honey and only cost 70 bahts (£1.40) whilst the others ranged from 15 to 60 bahts.





                                                                                                                              














Most shops sold pretty much the same things, but you could often find same items in less busy areas of Saladan for a lot cheaper. This vase was being sold in the 'touristy side' for 500 bahts (£10), but we found it in the quieter area for 250 and got it down to 200 bahts (£4). It's always good to haggle with a smile.
We enjoyed drinking Sang Som Thai Rum almost every night, mixed with coke. A bottle cost 225 bahts (£4.50) so of course I had to bring one back with me. Wishing now that I'd bought two bottles. It cost nearly £20 here.

I love these braclets and  think they are really cute. I also have a black one on my other wrist. They were a bargain at three for 100 bahts.
I also bought these six balls of wool in a small chemist for 15 bahts each (30p). They are the perfect colours to match my room. I've started knitting squares in preparation to make a small patchwork throw.
I enjoyed taking walks along the beach with my daugher, nieces and nephews to collect shells. One night my daughter and I were woken up by a rustling noice. We soon disovered that the sound was coming from inside a plastic carrier bag. My daughter had unknowingly colleceted a small shell which still had a hermit crab inside it. It was quite a comical moment.
I might use these one day to decorate a mirror or box...
I can't believe I've been back over a week now. I miss Thailand, the sea, the sun and Pad Tai with chicken!

1 comment

  1. Great bargains, especially love the friendship bracelets. Looks like you had a wonderful time x

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Barri-Jayne Makes. Design by FCD.